Monday 30 March 2015

Identity







Many times I've written about reflection of self on this blog, of working on finding your true self or about finding out who you really are or what you really want in life.
This morning as I was heading out the door of the place I was working at, the lady just flipped on the tele and I saw Stedman Graham talking about the very same thing. Stedman Graham, who most of us know as partner of Oprah Winfrey, was very inspiring in the very few minutes I heard him talk. So I looked it up just now and what I read is the very same thing I always talk about here on my blog (missed that opportunity to sell a book ;) )

Stedman says;

Part of what makes us human is our ability to be aware of our own existence, to both live and to reflect on our own lives.
It is this capacity for self-awareness that allows us to see our authentic selves and build our own identity, rather than letting others dictate who we are and what we do with our lives.
Inevitably, however, the stresses and routine of daily life can get in the way of this self-reflection. We become caught up in the task of getting through the day—in surviving—to take time to cultivate that awareness.
But with the development of a strong sense of who we are and what we want to do in life, we naturally begin to take agency in our lives, and become successful no matter what challenges life presents.

Isn't that the very same thing that I'm talking about blog after blog after blog? Only he takes it a lot of steps further of course (he's looking at a much bigger picture, I would be satisfied with my own developement) The stresses of daily life that are keeping me from my own personal development and identity? Of course I feel that it can't all be blamed on the daily stresses. You have to be strong enough to not let them get you under and stress you out, but even so; it is a struggle not to. There are always people who are labeling you or who want to dictate what you should or shouldn't do.



Maybe that's why I've become a bit more on my own the last couple of years, not so much on my own as that I keep away from large groups of people, or family members or so called friends. I don't care anymore. Most times it had been a one way street anyway and who needs that? I just want to be in the comfort of my own home with my own family and not be bothered with their opinions. It sometimes feels like I'm anti-social, I'm not though, (feeling very socialy active on Twitter every day!) I just can't be bothered with the drama and the interfering of my life anymore.

I really want to find myself again, find my own Identity. I think I have or I'm on the way of finding it, but I let myself be stressed way too much. I'm surely but very slowly come to realize that I'm the only one who can change that part of my Identity; the stressing needs to go. It's bothering me enormously. I've started to eat more healthy now time to behave more healthy and find my true self.

© KH

No comments: