Wednesday 19 April 2017

Wednesday Wisdom; an eye for an eye


Yesterday on the news there was an item on death row in Arkansas Texas. Arkansas plans to execute eight inmates between Monday and April 27 because its supply of one of the three execution drugs, midazolam, expires on April 30 and the state says it does not have a supplier to replenish it.
They showed a woman who's mother was killed 25 years ago by one of the inmates in dead row. She told us that he simply had to die, he deserved no less than what he did to her mother.
Now I've never been through what she's been through of course, I've never had someone I loved murdered but after 25 years she really thinks killing that man will bring her peace of mind?
Wouldn't it be better to make him see what he did was wrong or make him work or give him some other kind of punishment? Not set him free mind you, but just another form of punishment or treatment if necessary.

Like Gandhi said; an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind and I really believe that. With all that's been going on in the world lately; Trump throwing bombs like it's candy, those war threaths... do we really believe it is best to hurt the other like they hurt us?

Let's simplify things; I've been bullied for years as a teen. Of course back then I really wished someone would hurt them like I've been hurt, emotionally especially. But now? I don't even think they know how much it has hurt me or that they saw it as bullying. Sure, it would be nice if they were aware of it, but would it matter? It is done, in the past and it has made me who I am today.
There's never an excuse for bullying but to do to them what they do to you is never an option.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
It would make the world a better place ...

© KH

No comments: